There is nothing more like a hug in a mug than a cup of this Carrot, sweet potato and ginger soup. Super warming, nourishing and full of flavour.
Soup is one of the easiest meals to make so anyone can make this. Basically it goes like this: throw everything into a large pot, leave for a bit, come back, blend and enjoy 🙂
Not only is this soup really flavoursome, but also very nutritious:
Carrots and sweet potatoes pack a punch of vitamin A
Ginger is a powerful anti-inflammatory that can settle your stomach and help with digestion.
Give this a go and enjoy a big bowl by itself or with some homemade brown bread.
Carrot, sweet potato & ginger soup
- large pot
- chopping knife
- hand blender
- 3 sweet potatoes sliced medium sized/wash and leave skin on for extra nutrients
- 5 carrots chopped medium sized/wash and leave skin on
- 1 stock cube vegetable or chicken/beef
- 1 onion sliced medium
- 2 garlic cloves whole smash down with side of knife to release flavour
- 1.5 litre boiling water
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- half tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp cornflour could also use ground almonds as a gluten free alternative
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt season as you like
- 1 handful fresh coriander ( optional for garnish )
- 1 slice fresh ginger about the length of your thumb
- Heat oil and butter in large saucepan and add onions and garlic – fry on low/medium heat until softened
- Add cumin, turmeric, cayenne pepper, ginger, salt and pepper and mix fast and continuously for another 2 minutes
- Add 1 tbsp cornflour and mix continuously for 1 minute
- Add boiling water, stock cube, carrots and sweet potato
- Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce to low heat. Cover with a lid ( leaving the lid slightly tilted to release steam ) and leave to cook for 30 minutes
- When veg has softened, turn off the heat and leave to cool slightly. Use a hand blender to blend the soup into a smooth consistency. Taste and season as needed.