You may be thinking zucchini?! In cake?! Have ya lost your mind? For some reason carrot cake is completely normal, but when we use zucchini (courgette), it’s like “R u ok hun?” 🙂
Ok so please don’t knock this before you try it because it’s so freakin’ delish.
Zucchinis add extra nutrients, a nice moisture and a bit of fudginess to this chocolate chip cake.
These almost resemble a dense brownie the day after baking a batch of these – so good. And with only around half the calories of a regular brownie.
All you need is 8 simple ingredients! You can also try making these into little muffins if you don’t want to do a tray bake. Just bake them for ~20 mins rather than 35-40 mins for the tray bake. 🙂
Chocolate chip zucchini cake
- square baking tray
- 150 g grated courgette/zucchini around 1 small sized
- 150 g wholemeal flour
- 50 g ground almonds
- 4 eggs
- 100 g honey/maple syrup
- 75 g dark chocolate chunks/chips
- 75 g butter melted
- 10 g cocoa powder
- Mix the eggs and honey together in a bowl with a whisk
- Add the flour, ground almonds and cocoa powder and mix well with a spatula
- Add the grated courgette and melted butter and stir well until you have a smooth cake batter
- Stir in half of the chocolate chips
- Line your square baking tray with parchment paper and add the cake mix. Spread evenly with a spatula and add the remaining chocolate chips on top of the cake
- Bake in a preheated fan oven at 180 degrees celcius for 35-40 minutes. Leave to cool for at least half an hour before cutting because its quite soft until it sets. Its even better on the second day 🙂 Enjoy!
Don’t forget to tag me in your food pics on Instagram if you try these recipes! I absolutely LOVE seeing your creations 🙂