Nothing screams autumn/winter season more than a hearty loaf of freshly baked brown bread! I am obsessed with baking but I especially enjoy it during the cold season. It really embodies the Hygge lifestyle. ( basically cosy life ) There’s something so satisfying and warming about baking a loaf of brown bread and eating it fresh out of the oven.
This recipe is quick and easy for those of you who want to keep it simple. This brown bread is wholesome, rich yet light at the same time. All you need is 6 simple ingredients!
Enjoy this bread along side a bowl of homemade soup or even just by itself with some butter and jam. It’s like a hug in a slice!
Easy brown bread
- Mixing bowl
- mixing spoon
- loaf tin
- 250 g Wholemeal flour
- 200 g Self raising flour
- 1 egg
- 350 ml buttermilk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup/honey
- 2 tbsp seeds ( sunflower/pumpkin/sesame seeds)
- Add white and brown flour to mixing bowl and stir.
- Add egg to separate bowl and add buttermilk. Then add honey/maple syrup and stir.
- Add the wet mix to the flour mix and stir with knife (best for combining) until combined fully. The mix should be slightly wet but firm at the same time. Add more buttermilk if needed.
- Add mix to a greased loaf tin and spead evenly. Sprinkle with seeds on top.
- Bake in preheated oven at 200 degrees celcius for 45-50 minutes. After cooking, remove from loaf tin and tap on the bottom of the loaf. If it sounds hollow inside it should be cooked thoroughly.