Anything with ginger and spice and everything nice is a winner in my Christmas time books. Can you get any more Christmassy than gingerbread cookies? I think not.
I am that girl that obsesses over everything Christmas and belts out the Crimbo tunes bang on 1st December. Blare the tunes while making these gingerbread cookies and you’re winning. Not to mention these are totally healthy and full of good ingredients, making this move a double win.
These are gluten free which is good news for those of you who are gluten-sensitive/intolerant. The base is made with oat flour ( from gluten free oats ) and ground almonds – 2 ingredients that you’ll easily root out in your kitchen.
Honestly, when I first attempted this recipe, I baked skeptically. How were these going to turn out as nice as regular, flour-based gingerbread cookies? Well, safe to say I pleasantly surprised myself with this recipe!
These are slightly soft but biscuity, perfectly spiced and subtly sweet. The perfect gingerbread cookie/man/woman/whatever shape ya fancy.
A super simple recipe, anyone can whip these together in a few minutes. All you need is 10 SIMPLE INGREDIENTS. Happy baking!
- large mixing bowl
- small mixing bowl
- wooden spoon/mixing spoon
- rolling pin
- cookie cutters
- Baking tray
- 100 g oat flour
- 100 g ground almonds
- Half tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 35 g coconut oil
- 35 g coconut sugar
- 35 g treacle
- 1 egg
- Add oat flour, ground almonds, spices and baking powder to a large bowl
- Melt the coconut oil in a separate bowl in the microwave and add the treacle, stir well to combine
- Add the coconut sugar to the treacle and oil and mix well
- Add the egg to the wet mix and stir well
- Pour the wet mix to the dry mix and stir to combine. If the mixture seems too crumbly, keep stirring and the mix should come together eventually to form a dough ball. ( Add a small drop of water if really necessary )
- Wrap the dough in cling film and chill in the fridge for at least an hour
- When the dough has chilled, roll out with a rolling pin on to a floured surface until roughly half an inch in thickness
- Use cookie cutters to shape your gingerbread cookies and place on a baking tin lined with greaseproof paper
- Bake in a hot oven at 180 degrees celcius for 10-12 minutes
- The longer you leave in the oven the harder the cookies will be. If you prefer softer gingerbread, cook for a shorter amount of time.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes and decorate whatever way you like. Enjoy!