Ahh Spag Bol! The dinner of my childhood. I loved this dish as a kid, despite the fact that we had it almost every night for dinner 🙂
One of the reasons it’s such a popular dish to feed a family is probably because it’s super easy to whip up in less than an hour. Can’t be keeping the kids waiting 😛
Anyway, I’ve tried to make the regular version of Spaghetti Bolognese a little healthier by making the sauce from scratch. You can easily use a ready made jar of sauce but by making it yourself, you’ll get extra nutrients and flavour.
It’s still very simple to make! You can choose courgetti ( spiralised courgette ) as a substitute for spaghetti if you want to keep the meal lower in carbs and add some extra veggie content. But it’s totally up to you 😉 I like it both ways.
- Tip : If you’re going to use courgetti as a base, just toss the raw courgetti with your cooked bolognese sauce for 1 minute to serve. If you cook the courgetti at all it will become soggy and soft.
Healthy spaghetti bolognese
- large frying pan
- chopping knife
- 400 g beef mince I used lean mince but if you don't mind extra fat and calories you can use high fat mince
- 500 g tinned tomatoes/passata
- 3 servings of spaghetti (75g per serving) or you can sub with courgetti – see tip in the above paragraph
- 45 g grated parmesan
- 1 pepper diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- 1 tsp dried oregano optional but adds flavour
- 2 tbsp worchestershire sauce optional but adds flavour
- Handful fresh basil highly recommend fresh basil rather than dried
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- Fry the beef mince on high heat until lightly browned and add the salt, pepper, oregano and worchestershire sauce. Meanwhile cook your spaghetti to your liking in a saucepan of boiling water. It should take 10 minutes or so. I add spaghetti to boiling water and then stir well. Turn off the heat and place a lid on the saucepan – leave for 10+minutes to cook away.
- Add the diced pepper, carrot and onion to the meat and cook further for 2-3 minutes
- Add the tinned tomatoes and the crushed garlic and mix thoroughly. Turn heat to low-medium and leave to cook for 5 minutes
- When the spaghetti has cooked divide into portions on plates and top with the bolognese sauce. Top with grated parmesan and torn fresh basil.